Portland Loves to Eat!
Posted by Kinsley Suer | 10 November 2012
In honor of our upcoming production of I Love to Eat, PCS and Forktown Food Tours invite you to a unique food and theater experience celebrating the life and culinary expertise of Portland’s original foodie, James Beard. This delicious culinary adventure will take you through one of Portland’s oldest neighborhoods as you explore the connections between modern eateries and Portland’s most famous homegrown culinary star.
On the tour, we’ll learn about the life and times of James Beard and his influence on the way we eat, all while sampling a variety of tasty treats. Tastes include craft beer, tiny artisan cookies, micro-batch coffee, food cart goodness and more, made with the local seasonal ingredients that have made Oregon famous.
After your culinary walking tour, make your way to Portland Center
Stage for a 5:30 p.m. private backstage tour of the Gerding Theater at
the Armory. Take some time to explore the Pearl District on your own
or enjoy drinks at the Armory Cafe before returning to the theater for
I Love to Eat, a new play that celebrates the life and talent of a Portland, Oregon, original—James Beard.
The tours are offered on Fridays and Saturdays, from January 11
through February 9, 2013. A full schedule of the day’s events and all
details appear below.
Food Tour: 2-5 p.m.
Backstage Tour: 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Theater Performance: 7:30-9 p.m.
Only $99 per person*
*includes all food and drink tastings, a knowledgeable tour guide, a privately guided backstage tour of Portland Center Stage and a theater ticket to see I Love to Eat.
This package makes for the perfect holiday gift. For friends and family...or for yourself!
To book your tickets, call 503-234-3663 or visit www.forktown.com. Tickets must be purchased at least 24 hours in advance of the tour/play. Business hours are Tuesday-Sunday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Still have questions about the package?
Already have your tickets for I Love to Eat? Patrons who already hold tickets or have seen the play will be offered a $5 discount on the regular culinary tour price of $65 (making the tour total $60). That discount can be used on any of the James Beard culinary tours offered Fridays and Saturdays from Saturday, January 12 – Saturday, February 9. Guests MUST CALL Forktown Tours directly in order to apply the discount on their tour price.
- The culinary tour is a walking tour of roughly 1.5 miles that lasts three hours and visits six different local Portland eateries. Each tour will be limited to 14 guests.
- Guests will receive more than just samples, but rather enough food for a full meal!
- The tour will stop at several different style eateries, from famous local restaurants to bakeries to distilleries and delis. Guests must walk from location to location, but will have inside seating at most (if not all) the locations.
- Tours will take place rain or shine. Guests are encouraged to dress appropriately and bring appropriate rain gear.
- Many allergies and dietary restrictions can be accommodated, but MUST be requested in advance of the tour.
- Upon purchase, guests will receive an email confirmation with all the meeting details for the tour and instructions about the backstage tour & theater performance the same evening.
- Guests may use their own car to drive to the starting location of the tour on NW 21st Ave and then drive to the theater at the conclusion of the tour for the backstage tour. Guests can also use the green streetcar line to travel from NW 23rd to the theater. Parking and public transportation costs are NOT included in the package price.
- After the backstage tour, guests are encouraged to explore the Pearl or grab a drink at the Armory Café while waiting for the performance to start.
- Groups of six or less will be seated together if there is availability to do so. Ordering early will help ensure guests who purchase packages together are seated together.
- No refunds will be made on ticket purchase.