This position manages Portland Center Stage’s Lighting Department, by supervising the lighting staff, maintaining inventory, assisting contracted lighting designers, helping to create achievable budget goals, and serving as the primary contact between production manager and the lighting department. The position is full-time, exempt.
- Lighting department contact for designers, in-house productions, and outside rentals within the Main Stage and Studio theaters, and auxiliary spaces.
- Maintains and provides all specifications for lighting equipment in Studio and Main Stage theatres to designers and outside renters.
- Creates all necessary paperwork for Master Electricians to hang and circuit lighting from designer’s plot.
- Acts as assistant to designer at tech, dress and preview rehearsals by taking notes and fulfilling designer requests.
- Facilitates lighting and staffing for all in-house events (including Gala and other Development events) and outside rentals within the Main Stage and Studio theaters.
- Makes arrangements for all rental gear needed for productions.
- Purchase all color, templates, etc. necessary for each show.
- Contacts and arranges for over-hire crews for hang, focus, and strikes.
- Coordinates and participates in all work calls during the tech, dress and preview periods.
- Keeps show paperwork updated with changes and ensures Master Electrician’s paperwork is current.
- Maintains integrity of light plots through Master Electricians.
- Assists in coordination of load-in and strike schedules with other production department heads.
- Works with Master Electricians to ensure maintenance of equipment and systems.
- Prepares and manages budget with the Production Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Production Manager.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience with theatrical lighting plots and basic electrical knowledge
- Experience assisting designers.
- Experience in hanging, focusing, rigging, repairing and maintenance of lighting instruments.
- Experience with computer lighting consoles, computer drafting and lighting software (Lightwright and Vectorworks), lock rail counterweight system operation, basic knot tying, and intelligent lighting.
Skills and Knowledge
- Self-motivation with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, organization and communication skills.
- Be focused, flexible and have great attention to detail.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to negotiate lighting catwalks and access points in all theatre spaces.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working in an environment in which directions and priorities can change rapidly.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary depending on experience.
- Medical benefits available 1st day of month following hire.
- Generous Paid Time Off policy.
- 403 (b) retirement plan available with employer match.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Lighting Supervisor/PCS Website." Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. The position is open until filled. No phone calls, please.
Portland Center Stage is committed to advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. PCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Successful candidates will commit to an equitable and inclusive workplace, including but not limited to: racial equity, accessibility for individuals with disabilities, use of gender inclusive language, and cultural sensitivity.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Portland Center Stage does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to age, marital status, sexual orientation, or the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or handicap.