Visions & Voices 2019 Showcase: Night Two
** This event is in the past. **View Upcoming Events
Join us for an evening of plays written by students from our Visions & Voices program showcased by professional actors. Visions & Voices 2019 Showcase: Part Two features students from Sam Barlow High School, Sunset High School, and Wilson High School.
These are challenging times for everyone, but especially for our younger generation. They express to us how stifled they often feel in a system that expects so much. Test scores. Colleges. Careers. Social pressures. Family pressures. It goes on and on. So beyond offering tools with which to write plays, the larger goal is to provide an outlet; to give permission to express their ideas, passions and desires; to allow the difficult questions; and to exercise empathy and embrace the chaos that is “growing up.”
Night Two features the Following Students and their Original Plays:
- Playwright’s Inferno by Katherine Hardenbergh from Sam Barlow High School
- Leaves by Daltry Russo from Wilson High School
- One of Them Is Dead by Declan Fooks from Sunset High School
- Kiss Me by Ella Carson from Wilson High School
- Happy Being Sad by Jay Friend from Sunset High School
- The Wig by Haley Bartley from Sam Barlow High School
- dollies by Aiyana Thompson from Sunset High School
- I Love Steve by Gabi Garcia from Sunset High School
- Oblivion™ by Abby Steward from Wilson High School
- The Silence of a Chocolate River by Aletea vanVeldhuisen from Sunset High School
- Fantasy by James Tinio from Sam Barlow High School
- Requited by Avery White from Sam Barlow High School
*Member of Actors’ Equity Association, the Union of Professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States.
About Visions & Voices
Since 1999, the Visions & Voices student playwriting program has been bringing theater professionals into public high school classrooms to conduct residencies. The program culminates each year with an exciting showcase of original pieces selected from all the residency sites. This free public performance at The Armory's Ellyn Bye Studio features professional actors performing staged readings of plays and monologues. Visions & Voices is offered free of charge and relies upon community support to bring the playwriting experience into the classroom.
Playwriting Instructors: Matthew B. Zrebski & Clara-Liis Hillier