Beyond the Production: "The Color Purple"
September 17, 2018
Helpful overviews & study material
- Alice Walker - The Color Purple (Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism), Dr Rachel Lister, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010
- Alice Walker's The Color Purple (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations), ed. Prof. Harold Bloom, New edition 2008
- A Study Guide for Alice Walker's The Color Purple (Novels for Students) by The Gale Group
- Studies in Alice Walker's 'The Color Purple', Shymasree Basu, Booksway, 2014
- From Walker to Spielberg: Transformations of 'The Color Purple, Joan Digby ed. Peter Reynolds, London: Routledge, 1993
- Go Ask Alice: Alice Walker Talks About The Color Purple 10 Years Later, Kate Fitzsimmons, San Francisco Review of Books, 1996
- Coffee Will Make You Black by April Sinclair deals with the Civil Rights movement and growing up as an African-American girl in 1960s Chicago
- Maya Angelou’s autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings makes an interesting true life comparison to Celie’s experiences
- For a masculine view of the African-American identity, read Alex Hayley’s Roots, which recounts Hayley’s successful quest to trace his family roots back to Africa
Behind the Scenes: Costumes, Set & Wigs
Portland Center Stage at The Armory is committed to identifying & interrupting instances of racism & all forms of oppression, through the principles of inclusion, diversity, equity, & accessibility (IDEA).